MARLA Note !!!!

This is the place for discussions of a general nature that don't seem to fit in another topic area!
K7MT
Extra

MARLA Note !!!!

Post by K7MT »

Howdy gang - It is 2016 already and I wonder where the time goes.
A quick note on the MARLA system. Last year I had some funds returned to me that I thought was long lost and gone. It was a nice surprise after many many years. Being i considered it lost, so I decided to make a donation to the MARLA system expansion project. The MARLA folks are looking at getting a complete loop around Montana linked via UHF and backup power. The MARLA gang has the particulars on where etc.

I was able to get 6 nice VHF antennas for the repeaters and 6 ARCOM Repeaters controller/enclosure kits and give them to Don Heide (W7MRI). Don is having John Geach (KS7R) help Solder the kits over the winter as I am terrible at soldering. (Thanks John). I am looking at acquiring some 70 cm Link Antennas for the UHF linking on the MARLA system. Doug Dunn (K7YD) has three UHF antennas on the SheepM Packet site and he has donated them for the MARLA project. I just need to get up there and get them down. So, if anyone out there might have some UHF (6 element or so) beam antennas they have incognito consider donating to the MARLA expansion project.

So with a good part of the parts needed to expand the MARLA system, the MARLA folks are in position to see their dream come true. A Montana wide VHF linked system. I for one will donate my time, tower climbing, antenna installation, and general grunt work to help them out.

Bill K7MT Cheers !! Gee Haw !!!
N7YO
Administrator
Administrator

Re: MARLA Note !!!!

Post by N7YO »

Hi Bill! There was some talk about the Zortman site becoming a linked site for the MRLA Effort. I am reasonably certain GFAARC would be happy to lend the site to that end. The site already has a UHF link to Highwood. I believe it needs a new VHF transmitter but we were going to replace that anyway. That might just be the perfect thing to do with the site.

Happy New Year to all!!!
73's Jim N7YO
K7MT
Extra

Re: MARLA Note !!!!

Post by K7MT »

Hi Jim, I remember Donnnie W7MRI mentioning somthing about that regarding MARLA. I know Scotty N7CTF in Glascow is looking at Linking his VHF repeater to Zortman to be part of the MARLA system. If all this comes to agreement, that would give a nice northern Link for MARLA.

It is kinda of neat to watch Scotty's APRS digipeater in Glascow beacon and it hits Zortman, Great Falls, MACPASS then to my Igate here in Helena. The software APRSIS32 shows a digi path live and I find it amazing as something Glascow is Igated through Helena. That shows a nice path !!!!!

I mentioned to Paul W7PG in Mile City about the MARLA and he is interested in linking Pompey Pillar to Hysham and a site between Forsyth/Miles City area that are his or he has access to... Lots of discussion, thoughts, ideas, being tossed around.

Happy New Year to you and Wanda !!!

Cheers Bill

Return to “General Topics”