winlink station at the NWS?

This forum is for general skywarn discussions
aa7gs
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by aa7gs »

Who knows what about WINLINK? I thinks it's called something else now but either way it's an HF packet -e-mail system??? using PACTOR?? There is a proposal to put one of these stations at the NWS...any comments or suggestions are welcome!!!
George Forsyth AA7GS
Cascade County Emergency Coordinator
Montana District 2 Emergency Coordinator
Amateur Radio Emergency Services
aa7gs@arrl.net 406-791-8325
KD7DCR_Whitehall
Novice
Novice
Location: 12nm WEST of Whitehall, MT...up on the Mtn. in the Trees! @6,000ft MSL.

Post by KD7DCR_Whitehall »

Would make sense to have one there IF it is being used within your normal EOC/MCC structure. The added node/address is nothing in overhead. The equipment includes your interface and a laptop with software.
IT IS CONSIDERED secure enough to use names and report MIA/KIA during disasters, etc.; because it is "addressable" and not a "party-line"...
It is also "loggable", in that it can be saved as a machine file (with a date/time stamp) and/or it can be printed out to hard copy upon receipt. As such it can be used to issue orders/commands within the IC network/structure...without voice/phone use over non secure frec's.

Just my 2 cents worth from ARRL training and previous EOC assignments in ID.
K7MT
Extra

Re: winlink station at the NWS?

Post by K7MT »

Hi George,

Bill K7MT. Winlink is the overall name of the system http://www.winlinkorg It uses HF along with VHF/UHF packet for the e-mail type system. N7YO Jim has a RMS Packet station on 145.010 which used Winlink programs RMS Express, Airmail. or Paclink. Jime Moore use to the have a HF station active for amateur and MARS on HF be he is moving so there is presently no HF MBO station in Montana. State of Montana DES applied for a grant to put a MBO HF Station at Ft. Harrison using Pactor III for MARS. A new AEA TNC is in place for Amateur side but not hooked up for Winlink.

Larry N7YET and Todd AE7V are presently using Winlink and the new WINMOR mode. It is free software and requires a sound card interface. It is amost pactor II speed. I have a RMS Packet Station running here and will set up HF interface so if the internet goes down I can take in packet and relay out on HF. Experimenting at this time but gaining a lot of knowledge.

I know some folks want to try and put up a packet system to cover all of Montana. Tha would really be expensive, if one part goes down it fails, and it would be hard to maintain. I believe Winlink on HF wuld be a much better way to cover this large state with so few hams. Packet could be used locally with interface to HF on winlink. Just my two cents but I have let Doug K7YD know about WINLINK and hwo it could be implemented NOW for very little cost and cover the entire state of Montana. A lot of money was spent to put WINLINK system at the state DES and it would be a shame to not use it to tie the state together for emergencies. As always work in progress....

Bill K7MT

Return to “Skywarn Discussion Area”