ARES Questions?

For discussions of everything pertaining to ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Services)
aa7gs
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ARES Questions?

Post by aa7gs »

Please feel free to post your questions here! I'll do my best to have an answer for you ASAP!
Last edited by aa7gs on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
George Forsyth AA7GS
Cascade County Emergency Coordinator
Montana District 2 Emergency Coordinator
Amateur Radio Emergency Services
aa7gs@arrl.net 406-791-8325
KA2ODP/7
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ARES Questions?

Post by KA2ODP/7 »

I know the roll call preamble mentions that the North Central Montana ARES net normally meets on the 146.730 MHz repeater and it's links, but not exclusively.

But I was wondering if there is an established protocol in the event the Highwood-Baldy repeater is not available? Do we automatically switch over to the 147.300 MHz repeater? Is there a simplex frequency, such as 146.550 MHz, that we typically use for ARES simplex operations in the Great Falls area?

Do we have several specific 2-meter frequencies that we can tell folks to monitor for ARES operations? Something more defined than "all of the local repeaters"? A prioritized listing of the top 3 frequencies, for example.
73 de
Bruce, KA2ODP/7
aa7gs
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ARES Questions?

Post by aa7gs »

Well, depending on where the need for us to communicate is, we could use the local frequency of 147.300 as our LOCAL backup. However, If Operating from my home, or the National Weather Service, several repeaters could be used, Havre, Sweetgrass, East Glacier Park, or Porphery Peak. If our help is needed to the South, Both Helena Repeaters and Butte are also available. Bottom line is: I really don't want to designate a "specific" repeater for backup. And of course 146.52 would be used locally in any of the repeater coverage areas. I am a little concerned though that the Havre crew is using a remote base on .52. but I don't think thats going to be a problem...
George Forsyth AA7GS
KE7BIN
GFAARC Member
GFAARC Member

ARES Questions?

Post by KE7BIN »

Now with Ken's repeater as well as Terry's we have many to choose from.The only thing I worry about is during the day when people are at work in the out laying areas. George are all those folks on the call list from the answering service?
aa7gs
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ARES Questions?

Post by aa7gs »

ONLY emergency coordinators and assistant emergency coordinators on the call out downtown
George Forsyth AA7GS
KE7BIN
GFAARC Member
GFAARC Member

ARES Questions?

Post by KE7BIN »

Thanks for that Info I wasn't sure
aa7gs
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ARES Questions?

Post by aa7gs »

Hey Jim, on the heading "north central montan ARES group,,,could you please add an "a" to montana. Thanks!
George Forsyth AA7GS
KE7BIN
GFAARC Member
GFAARC Member

ARES Questions?

Post by KE7BIN »

George I saw that however I didn't want to sound PICKY
N7YO
Administrator
Administrator

ARES Questions?

Post by N7YO »

Done! I just hit the easy button, "That Was Easy". :P
73's Jim N7YO
KE7BIN
GFAARC Member
GFAARC Member

ARES Questions?

Post by KE7BIN »

George,
Would you give the members some idea of what You would like the N/C Mont. ARES Group to get invold in with some of the Civic Organizations or Events in our area for the coming year. 73
aa7gs
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ARES Questions?

Post by aa7gs »

The Number ONE thing I want EVERYBODY to do is the FEMA training! It's easy, it'll make you smart about what happens at an incident, not to mention our role in the incident.

Number TWO,,,,,Join RACES! It's a little different than ARES but both could be VERY valuable in time of need!!

Number THREE,,,,If anybody knows of any "bike races, foot races, anything that could use the services we provide" LET ME KNOW, I will contact them!

George.
George Forsyth AA7GS
N7YO
Administrator
Administrator

ARES Questions?

Post by N7YO »

Funny you should ask. We received a letter from Great Falls High today. It was saying that the Great Falls City and Cascade County first responders and resue teams are conducting a joint lockdown safety drill, at Great Falls High. This will happen on March 25th. I don't know if there is anything that we could do, but maybe you could check. We have the letter if you want a copy.
73's Jim N7YO
aa7gs
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ARES Questions?

Post by aa7gs »

I JUST got off the phone with Vince Kolar, Casacde County DES coordinator, He is unaware of this drill and suggested that I contact the Sheriff's office,,,,,,I called Capt Hitchcock, he is also unaware of this excersize....However Capt Hitchcock will pursue the originator of the letter and check with them and get back to me asap...He thinks that the term cascade county first responders and such is just being used by the schools to make their letter more paletable....interesting....

NOW, on another subject, actually the same one, The Sheriff's office has MONTHLY drill training that we can get involved with..Hitchcock is also checking with the training officer "Bob Roseapel" to get the "communications posse" involved..more later. :D :D :D
Last edited by aa7gs on Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Forsyth AA7GS
KE7BIN
GFAARC Member
GFAARC Member

ARES Questions?

Post by KE7BIN »

George,
You could contact Park and Rec. on traffic control for the Ice Breaker Race Next Month. Golds Gym is also putting on the Harvest Thunder Triathalon late spring. The Smal Towns Like Simms, Cascade, Dutton all Have Road Races on their Fun Days. Then a Biggy could be GRIZZLEY MARATHON in Choteau. Not to mention River Fest in Town
KE7BIN
GFAARC Member
GFAARC Member

ARES Questions?

Post by KE7BIN »

George, with regards to Todds Email as to training from local EOCs. I do feel since W7HOG was kind enough to go out and buy a new antenna we should really put a push on getting it up and the EOC on line. It it part of the City Emergency Plan that we have a working station there and at the WEATHER SERVICE so we better GET ER DONE!!!!!! OK

Return to “General Discussion”