Balloon launch sked Feb 13th Cascade MT

Ham Radio News!
k7gps
Novice
Novice

Balloon launch sked Feb 13th Cascade MT

Post by k7gps »

As part of a Junior High Science Fair project at Cascade Public Schools, where I'm the Tech Coordinator, we're planning to launch at 1500g latex "weather" balloon filled with hydrogen to lift several capsules with science experiments to measure temperature, relative humidity, oxygen saturation, and other experiments on Thursday Feb 13th, 2014, at 8am. We'll track the flight on APRS with K7GPS-11, K7GPS-12, and a SPOT receiver. We're hoping winds will return to being out of the SW, with a NE trajectory, up to 90k ft +, and drift downrange 70-100 miles. If weather isn't cooperating, we'll try everyday thereafter at 8am. We could use some chase team and communications support. If you have APRS, that's another plus. We may also have a simplex UHF repeater from Bill K7MT, depending on weight available. I hope to make the Feb 3rd GFAARC club meeting to share info with the group, and garnish support. Questions to Dave, K7GPS, email k7gps.dave@gmail.com or k7gps@arrl.net. Thanks. :)
N7YO
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Balloon launch sked Feb 13th Cascade MT

Post by N7YO »

Sounds very interesting, I would love to help however will be out of the area during that period. perhaps some others may volunteer to help.Keep up the good work!
73's Jim N7YO
KA2ODP/7
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Balloon launch sked Feb 13th Cascade MT

Post by KA2ODP/7 »

Hi Dave,

I was wondering if you could give us an update on the balloon launch from the school in Cascade, MT? I believe the winds were not favorable on the original launch date of 13 February 2014, so the launch was postponed. Did the weather cooperate the following week, and if so - how did things go? Enquiring minds want to know!

Thanks!
73 de
Bruce, KA2ODP/7

Return to “Latest Ham Radio Happenings”